VINTAGE TREASURES

It's no secret that I love vintage.  Years ago, when I was first married and the budget was extremely tight, I enjoyed going to second hand consignment shops and perusing through the 'recycled' goods to see what kind of treasures I could discover.  I was not label concious and I had little awareness of what might be considered 'valuable' or 'collectible'.  I just knew what I liked.  One of my first purchases was a simple black cocktail dress from the 1960's that reminded me of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. It zipped up the back and was a wee bit tight but I loved the chique, classic, knee length style.  I think I paid about $50 for it and wore it several times before giving it to a slightly more petite friend!  
Audrey Hepburn
Last night, I was in my usual "what to wear" dillemma.  I had planned on wearing a dress for New Year's Eve, however, an unfortunate tumble while hiking the day before had left me with a banged up, nasty looking knee so there was no way I was going to put a dress on unless I planned on wearing opaque black hose.  I started going through my closet looking for something sparkly that I could pair with my basic black dress pants.  At first, all I could find was a silver, sequined, flowy BCGB top that I had worn 2 years ago for the Broadcast  Film Critic's Awards.  However, when I looked it over, I noticed that several of the large disc like sequins were missing in several places - DARN!  I paid close to $200 for that top and it's just maddenning that after only 2 outings it is in need of repair!  (I guess that's why manufacturers always include a little bag of extra sequins with these garments). Determined to find something classy and flatterring, I continued my search until low and behold - at the back of my closet, in an old dusty garment bag, was a black beaded vintage top that I have had for well over 30 years!  It was passed down through 3 generations.  It was a very simple, sleeveless knit style top that zipped up the back.  When I looked it over I noticed that every bead and sequin on this top was sewn on so well that not one was missing!  Unbelievable.  I was even more excited to find that when I put the top on it was completely lined; the old zipper worked perfectly; and, it fit like a glove.  YIPPEE!!!  I felt like a million bucks in it.  I put on a pair of sparkly Swarovski crystal earrings and that was it.  Hooray for VINTAGE!  This is one top I am sooooo glad I held on to...you just never know sometimes.  I know that clutter experts will advise you to sell or donate used clothing items you haven't worn in at least a year, however, this is the exception to the rule!  It has also made me re-think shopping at consignment stores again because I realize the wonderful quality and value of things made in the past.   I will be able to pass this treasure on to my daughter as she also loves vintage.  
My Beaded Vintage Top (Circa 1935-40) a perfect fit for New Year's Eve!
Jewelry for New Year's Eve
Crystal Silver Shade Briolette Earrings
http://www.starcandydesigns.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1512
On the subject of Vintage, please be sure to check out my 
Vintage Candy Collection at:

Share on :
VINTAGE TREASURES
VINTAGE TREASURES
Reviewed by pada mama
Published :
Rating : 4.5