Artist Dolly Libby...Glass Memory Beads That Warm The Heart

Dolly Libby, Owner of Heartsong Memory Beads
http://www.heartsongmemorybeads.com/memory_beads.html

Rose Garden Pendant
I have had the extreme pleasure of knowing today's Featured Glass Artist - Dolly Libby from San Diego, CA, since 2005.  I first met Dolly through our teenage daughters who played on the same soccer team for several years.   I had spent an entire year prior to that collecting beautiful hand-made Italian Moretti, Kalera, Borosillica, Bull's Eye and Dichroic glass beads from artists through-out the U.S. and making them into jewelry for my newly launched on-line company - Star Candy Designs  I was immediately drawn to Dolly's vivacious, charismatic, joyful personality and most of all - her warm heart.  I could just feel the love radiating from this woman - her eyes literally sparkled whenever she talked about TWO things: 1) her artistic passions, and 2) her charity work in the community.  She had converted her 3-car garage into her work studio where she did beautiful stained glass art, fused glass and many other crafts in addition to teaching classes to kids and adults of all ages.  I came to find out that she was also making gorgeous glass beads!  
Dolly's Cosmic Graffiti Bead
What I did NOT know (until later) was that Dolly and I had both sufferred a similar tragedy - the loss of a son on the very same Easter weekend - many years prior to our becoming friends.  As a result of her loss, Dolly was doing something very unusual to preserve the memory of her son.  She had taken a tiny amount of his cremated remains and had carefully infused his ashes into individual beads to have as a keepsake.  She called them "Memory Beads".  She showed me some of the beautiful beads with Dylan's ashes suspended inside - I was both fascinated and stunned that this could even be accomplished - the beads were amazing little works of art!  (Shortly thereafter, Dolly made some memory beads for me with my son's ashes and I subsequently gifted each of my family members with one as a keepsake).  In the coming months, many conversations between Dolly and I followed - usually on the sidelines at soccer games - and mostly about her idea to take her memory beads to a business level.  She was so passionate about it and it was obvious that she wanted to help other grieving parents with the loss of a loved one or beloved pet.  I'm thrilled to say that Dolly perservered and made her dream a reality.  She launched her company "Heartsong Memory Beads" and now offers her unique gift to the world.  I personally do not know any other glass bead artist who is doing what Dolly does.  This is delicate, intricate and time consuming work that takes an amazing amount of skill and precision (and patience).  I'm so proud of this woman and honored to know her!  You can see examples of Dolly's beads below.
Glass Artist, Dolly Libby
http://www.heartsongmemorybeads.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/heartsongmemorybeads
 
In Her Own Words:
The first memory bead I made was with my son, Dylan's, cremated remains.  I didn't know if the glass would be compatible with the cremated remains or if it would break as soon as it came out of the annealing kiln.  The first bead was a little rough but I put it on a chain around my neck and was amazed at the sense of peace I felt wearing it.  I was surprised how many times a day I would touch it and feel a sense of Dylan with me.



A beautiful Memory Bead Dichroic glass pendant
http://www.facebook.com/heartsongmemorybeads
If you, or someone you know, has sufferred the loss of a loved one or a beloved pet and you would like to have some  beautiful, one-of-a-kind, keepsake memory beads made with the ashes...contact Dolly Libby at Heartsong Memory Beads.  
Peace Collection

Rose Garden

Share on :
Artist Dolly Libby...Glass Memory Beads That Warm The Heart
Artist Dolly Libby...Glass Memory Beads That Warm The Heart
Reviewed by pada mama
Published :
Rating : 4.5