Thoughts on Food and Teaching Children to Cook

Ever since my kids were little, I would do my best to get more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants into their growing bodies.  I breast fed both of them on demand for much longer than what was considered standard. I always felt happy about this because I knew as long as I was breast feeding, I wouldn't have to worry about their immune systems getting weak. But once those days ended, it became a little more challenging to keep them healthy.  They were raised holistically with regular chiropractic adjustments and we didn't rush them to the doctor if they had a little sniffle or fever.  Instead, they would get their nervous systems checked (by their dad a D.C.) while I researched what I could cook or put in the juicer to help knock out those nasty 'bugs'. Sometimes, this required a little sneakiness on my part.  I would occasionally refer to Jessica Seinfeld's cook book 'Deceptively Delicious' which suggested  steaming and pureeing tons of different organic vegetables at the beginning of each week; freezing them in storage bags and then adding them to my kid's favorite dishes such as mac 'n cheese, mashed potatoes, chocolate chip cookies, etc.  Her theory was that if you match the vegetable color with whatever you're making, your kids will eat it.  I tried this method.  I put pureed butternut squash into the mac 'n cheese; I put pureed cauliflower into the mashed potatoes; I even tried putting mashed garbanzo beans into my chocolate chip cookie dough.  Some dishes were deceptively successful - others not so much.   What Jessica may have over looked is that kids are not always fooled by color - some can be quite picky about 'texture'.  However, having said that - my kids have been extremely healthy over the years and I can probably count on one hand how often they have been sick.  When other kids were getting every cold and flu that was going around, my kids rarely missed a day of school.  
Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld
I am now half way to becoming an 'empty nester'.  My daughter is a Sophomore at a private college in Los Angeles.  She tried the meal plan in her first year and that seemed to go quite well although she complained that it was ridiculously expensive.  In her second year, she moved to an apartment on campus and decided she would shop and cook for herself.  She realized very quickly how hard it is to eat healthy on a budget. I think it's been a great lesson for her in not wasting food.  Food has become so much more precious to her and she is now vigilant about using everything she buys.  She is learning to shop for deals; use coupons and make her dollar go as far as possible and she is also teaching herself to cook.  When I check her bank account on line, I have noticed that her trips to expensive restaurants in Santa Monica, Melrose Ave., Manhattan and Venice Beach have tapered off.  Tomorrow she will be coming home for Spring Break and I love the fact that she will be absolutely thrilled with everything I cook!  There are a lot of plusses to letting your kids grow up and figure things out when it comes to food.  I really believe it's important to encourage your children to cook for themselves.  If they're going to go away to college - you do not want to render them helpless by making everything for them when they're young.  I also recommend teaching them to choose organic produce whenever possible and to choose foods that are fresh and in season vs. processed or refined.   
Which Foods When?
My son however, is another story.  I admit to babying my son.  He is now 17 and has committed to play soccer for a college in upstate NY in the Fall of 2014. My youngest is leaving the nest in 6 months ugh!!!  I still make breakfast for him every day; I constantly check in with him to make sure he's eating enough.  I have definitely coddled him but I also know that it gives me a sense of purpose to be able to cook for him and to be honest, I love getting the positive feedback!  However, after watching an interview on Saturday night between Piers Morgan and Mark Cuban, I am now on the fast track to get him college ready.  There was something Mark said about holding your kids to a higher standard that hit me right between the eyes. Hold your kids capable of taking care of themselves.  He also said that he never buys his kids presents even though he could buy them whatever they want. Everything has to have purpose and has to be earned. Thank you Mark!  I needed to hear that.  In these next few months my #1 GOAL is to teach my son how to make his 10 favorite things:

1) Spaghetti & Meat Balls (home made marinara containing loads of organic veggies and lean ground turkey)
2) Egg & Cheese Burrito (cage free hormone free eggs, organic raw cheddar)
3) Bean & Cheese Burrito (organic beans & cheese, chia & flax tortilla)
4) Turkey Chili (organic beans, lean ground turkey)
5) Panini Sandwiches (made with sprouted Ezekiel bread, raw cheddar, nitrite free meats)
6) Hamburger w/ Baked Sweet Potato Fries (grass fed beef)
7) Roasted Chicken Quesadillas (free range roasted chicken, whole wheat tortillas)
8) Fresh Salads (organic produce, in season)
9) Oatmeal &/or Choc Chip Cookies (organic oat & brown rice flours)
10) Mac 'n Cheese (brown rice pasta, organic raw cheese, organic milk)

My son will most likely be on a meal plan in his first year of college but I will feel more confident knowing that I have 'launched' him with a collection of my healthy recipes.  At the very least, he'll be able to impress his date some day with a home cooked meal.

If you would like to learn learn more about which foods to give your kids when, I  highly recommend Dr. Jennifer's website:  Well Adjusted Babies
It is a wonderful resource for all parents!
Share on :
Thoughts on Food and Teaching Children to Cook
Thoughts on Food and Teaching Children to Cook
Reviewed by pada mama
Published :
Rating : 4.5