Holiday Break - Creative Ideas

Wow, it's been quite awhile since my last post.  I hope everyone is enjoying special Holiday time with family and friends - isn't that what it's all about at this time of year?  My daughter is home from college for a few weeks so we have been doing some fun "girly" things together.  We went to see the movie production of "Les Miserables" and thought it was extremely well done.  Hugh Jackman and Ann Hathaway were quite amazing - not sure that Russel Crowe was the right fit for his part but all in all, a great film produced by Tom Hooper.  Sasha Baron Cohen & Helena Bonham Carter were both hilarious!  If you're planning on seeing it - I recommend reserving seats in advance and getting to the theater early.  Nothing worse than having to sit in the front 4 rows!

Yesterday, we did something that we used to do quite frequently when my kids were young - we painted pottery at CeramiCafe in Del Mar.  I forgot how fun and relaxing it is to paint - it's been a long time since I held a brush in my hand and did something creative.  I painted a square plate in my usual light-hearted, whimsical style - I don't like to get too serious - I just let the ideas flow.  My daughter chose an owl lantern and was quite meticulous with her design.  (We have an owl fetish in our family due to a family of screech owls that decided to nest in our roof top! ) Those birds are messy!!!  The best part about pottery painting is when you return 4-5 days later to pick up your masterpiece.  The finished product always looks better than you expected and you have this sense of accomplishment.  So... if you're looking for something fun to do over the school break check out the creative venues in your neighborhood.  Here are a few studio locations for those of you who live in San Diego:

My Picks For Pottery Painting:

12925 El Camino Real  San Diego, CA 92130
(858) 259-9958

NO STUDIO FEE - YAY!

Clay N Latte

10175 Rancho Carmel Drive  San Diego, CA 92128
(858) 487-9293


Color Me Mine
4S Commons Town Center 
10550 Craftsman Way Suite 183. San Diego, California 92127. 
Phone Number 858-312-5500 

A little Pottery Painting TIP:
If you have never painted ceramics before - start with a plate that has a flat surface (around $20-$25).  Plates are less expensive than animals & special shapes and much easier to create a design on.  This little hobby can get expensive so choose your project carefully!  Start with light colors for background and add darker colors over top.  Always sign and date the back of your piece so it doesn't get lost.  Use different brushes for different effects.  If you really want to look like a pro - finish your design by using black or dark colored paint to loosely outline the shapes in your design.  (See my plate below)  
It really makes it pop!
Have fun and don't take it too seriously!

My daughter Hannah painting her owl lantern at CeramiCafe
My $22 Plate - Pre-Firing Stage

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Share on :
Holiday Break - Creative Ideas
Holiday Break - Creative Ideas
Reviewed by pada mama
Published :
Rating : 4.5